If you have chosen Stone or are considering natural stone countertops in your Ottawa home, maintaining its natural beauty may be a concern. While natural stone countertops require a certain amount of care, maintaining them is likely easier than you might think.
Caring for Granite Countertops
Granite is the hardest stone you will find for natural stone countertops in Ottawa but needs some maintenance and care to keep it looking beautiful during its lifetime. Daily cleaning with a small amount of dish soap or antibacterial cleaner and water is all that’s required in most cases. Rinse using clean water and wipe dry. Heavy soil and potential stain-causing liquids require a little more care:
- Blot spills with an absorbent, soft cloth. Wiping the stain can spread it and create more work. Use warm water and detergent to clean the spot thoroughly and then rinse and dry with a soft cloth.
- For deep cleaning of your granite countertops in Ottawa, a degreaser formulated for stone is recommended. When using such products, be sure to follow the instructions provided very carefully to protect your granite’s finish.
Quartz Care made Easy
Quartz countertops are made with natural stone and resin, making them highly resistant and easy to care for. Regular cleaning with a soft cloth and your favourite detergent, rinsing and then wiping dry is all you’ll need to do for daily care. For heavier soil, here are some tips:
- For spills that have sat for some time or might have hardened, apply a glass or multi-surface cleaner and allow it to sit for several minutes. It is safe to use a sponge designed for non-stick pans to scrub the residue from the spill.
- For grease, gum or other sticky residues, use a plastic scraper to remove the substance and clean as necessary.
- Always avoid cleaners with high acidity or alkaline. Clean immediately if such liquids are spilled.
Marble Natural Stone Countertops
Gorgeous marble countertops in your Ottawa home require a little more care than some other types to maintain its beauty. For daily care, use a very mild dish detergent and water solution with a very soft cloth. For spills or potential stains:
- Use detergent and warm water to blot the spill immediately. Do not scrub with any abrasive cleaner as this can mar the surface.
- For set-in stains, mix baking soda and water to form a thick paste and apply it to the affected area. Cover with plastic wrap and allow it to sit for 24-hours. Remove the poultice and clean the area with a soft cloth and mild detergent solution.StoneSense can help you choose the best natural stone countertops that are perfect for your Ottawa home and lifestyle. Contact us to get started today.